Armed forces personnel and veterans

Find out how to access help and support, from the council and our partners, if you’re a veteran or currently serving in the armed forces.



Our welfare rights service can help you find out what benefits and tax credits you’re entitled to and how to claim.


See how to get a primary or secondary school place for your child on the school places and admissions page.


Find information about renting a home in the area. If you’re worried about having nowhere to live, contact our homelessness advice and support team as soon as possible.


If you’re looking for work, see jobs with the council in the jobs and careers section as well as finding out about training and support to change careers.

Care and support

Veterans can find a range of care and support services in our Locate – care and support in County Durham website.

Other sources of help and support

The North East Veterans Network includes a downloadable Directory of Support for North East Veterans.

The NHS provides healthcare information for military personnel and veterans, including getting treatment and useful contacts.

Pensions for veterans

Veteran’s badges

If you have served in HM Armed Forces, including Volunteer and Regular Reserves, you may be able eligible for a Veteran’s Badge.

Community projects

We are members of the County Durham Partnership where several key organisations work together to support active and ex-service men, women and their families as part of our commitment to the Armed Forces Community Covenant. Find out how registered charities, armed forces units or statutory bodies can apply for a Covenant Fund grant to support the armed forces community.